Welcome to the online Carnforth Directory published by A2A Advertising. A2A publish a local directory that is delivered door to door in this area annually, welcome to the online version.
Carnforth is a small town and civil parish near Lancaster in the north of Lancashire, England, situated at the north east end of Morecambe Bay, by the River Keer.
Much of the history of Carnforth revolves around the railway and ironworks. Vast deposits of limestone located locally made Carnforth an ideal place for an ironworks, as limestone is a key component of the smelting process. In 1846 the Carnforth Ironworks Company established a works, located near the railway station. In the same year a recession occurred in the Earl of Dudley ironworks in Worcestershire, this meant there was a surplus of workers. A number of workers moved to the ironworks and lived in the nearby company village of Dudley (now called Millhead). In 1864 the Carnforth Haematite Company took over the works and production was vastly increased due to iron ore that was brought in by rail from the Furness Peninsula. By 1872 steel production became the main focus for the works using the new Bessemer process. By 1889 this process had failed. Iron production continued at the works until 1929 when it eventually closed down. The site was taken over by the War Department (UK) as an ordnance depot and remained as such until the 1960s. From then to the present the site is now an industrial estate consisting of several businesses.
In the 19th century, Carnforth grew from a small village into a railway town when it became the junction of three major railways. After the 1960s, the station facilities were closed, and the main line platform removed, and as a result no express services on the West Coast Main Line (WCML) call at the town. The town is served by trains from Lancaster to Barrow and to Leeds.
The name "Carnforth" is thought to derive from its old function as a ford of the River Keer on which it is situated. Over time the descriptive name "Keer-ford" may have morphed into the modern "Carnforth".
Bolton-le-Sands is a large village and civil parish of the City of Lancaster in Lancashire, England.
The Village includes three pubs: The Royal Hotel, situated on the A6, The Packet Boat, and the Blue Anchor are both within the centre of the village, along the main street.
Bolton-le-Sands also have a football team, they play at Main Road, behind the aforementioned Packet Boat pub.
There is another Football team based in the village: Villa Royale, they play at Ryelands Park, just north of Lancaster.
The village has one school, Bolton-le-Sands Church of England Primary School, with around 300 pupils from the ages of 4 to 11 in a modern school building. The school is a successor to the old Boys' Free Grammar School, which dates from 1657, with the 19th century school building still used for community education. The school building was also home to the Bolton-le-Sands library until 1973, when the library was moved into a newly built site in the village centre.
The village has a very active scout group that meets in the scout hut on the village playing fields. It has three sections Beavers, Cubs and Scouts.